Back to: Melrose & District Community Council
Minutes 19 December 2007
MELROSE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY COUNCIL
MINUTE OF MEETING HELD IN
ON WEDNESDAY 19 DECEMBER 2007
PRESENT: IN ATTENDANCE
Provost W J Windram Cllr N Watson
Cllr Mrs D Cameron Sgt Lawson
Cllr R Chisholm Mrs S Spence
Cllr Mrs P Crichton
Cllr A McSorley
Cllr Mrs V Miller
Cllr Mrs L Paterson
Cllr S Waldie
1 ApologiesApologies were received from Cllr D Parker, Cllr G Barker, Cllr Mrs A Dewar and Cllr J Paton-Day
2 Minute of last meetingThe Minute of the meeting held on 21 November 2007 was approved by the Council and signed by the Provost. Noting that Cllr Mrs P Crichton was not present as listed.
3 Matters arising from previous minutes
3.1 Greenyards Toilets should be opened for 1 April 2008. Provost Windram to ask if the toilets could be opened in time for Easter Holidays which start on 23 March.
3.2 Melrose Map Nothing further to report.
3.3 Welcome Packs Nothing further to report.
3.4 Platforms in the Square Cleanliness of the platforms to be reviewed in March 2008.
3.5 Electricity Supply to the ‘new’ Platform. Proposed date for work to begin is 17 December 2007
3.6 The Scaurs It has been proposed that a meeting to be held before March 2008 to discuss future funding. William Hill Trust will pay the costs incurred to-date.
3.7 Street Name Plates in the Square. Nothing further to report.
3.8 Town Website. Cllr McSorely to contact D Hardie for advice to access the town’s web pages.
3.9 Melrose Festival. Provost Windram reported that Mr Roderick Hogg, oldest Ex Melrosian passed away recently.
3.10 Web Camera for the town would need internet access. Cllr McSorely has requested access from the town’s library and will investigate costs for this idea.
3.11 Litter at BGH The working group will continue to monitor.
3.12 Sign on the Eildon is to be cleaned by Cllrs N Watson and S Waldie in the Spring.
3.13 Christmas Lights Cllr Chisholm extended his thanks to Brian Kerr, electrician for his swift action and getting the extension ‘strings’ put up and also thanks to George and Abbotsford Hotel for the bacon rolls for volunteers who put up the Christmas Lights.The date for taking the lights down is 6 January. All volunteers to meet at 10.00.
3.14 Chiefswood Road Scottish Borders Council working on a Feasibility Study for a path along Chiefswood Road.
3.15 Cigarette bins in the absence of Cllr Mrs A Dewar there was no report from the Melrose Traders Association Meeting, where cigarette bins were discussed. Cllrs would like to see cigarette bins at bus stops, however Scottish Borders Council will not supply where there are free standing litter bins.
3.16 Work on repairs to the wall at the Cauld to start early 2008.
3.17 Provost Windram asked Cllr Watson to see if there was any ‘slippage’ money available that could be used to complete the path along Annay Road.Cllrs also suggested that funds from developer contribution could also be used from any new build schemes. Cllr Watson to pass suggestion to Planning Department at Scottish Borders Council.
3.18 Mr MacDonald confirmed to Provost Windram that the fireworks for Old Year’s Night had been bought. Provost Windram to contact Douglas Hardie to set up the PA system.Cllr McSorely had notified the emergency services of the gathering in Melrose Square, bus companies will also be informed to try and avoid a bus service running through Melrose around midnight. The police will also be asked to cone off the car-parking bays outside the Corn Exchange.
3.19 Abbey Bell nothing further to report.
3.20 Plans to celebrate 125 years of Rugby Sevens:· Plans for road closures are being drawn up.· Risk Assessment group has been set up.· Park and ride proposed from Tweedbank
3.21 Scottish Borders Council cannot repair the wall in Tower Road. Cllr Watson agreed to re-investigate decision.
3.22 Grit bin at Abbotsford Road has been moved as requested.
3.23 Cardrona Cashmere nothing further to report regarding facia board.
3.24 Development Site at Gattonside has unanimous opposition from residents due to the plans being outside the boundary and not being in the local plan. Residents have until 25 January 2008 to put their concerns in writing. Provost Windram to write on behalf of MDCC supporting the residents concerns.
3.25 Croft Site. Mrs Francine Hardwick reiterated her concerns over the proposed Croft Street development. Provost Windram reported that the Local Plan had been made fully aware of the views of the Croft Site Steering Group and MDCC. Scottish Borders Council will only consider new objections.
3.26 Selkirk town has already begun to stop using plastic carrier bags. Melrose Traders are keen to ‘go bagless’.
4 C Police MattersPolice report for November:Ø 1 recorded crimeØ 39% reduction on crime for the year compared to last year.Sgt Lawson also reported on the following:· Traffic through Newstead only one driver has been caught (with a hand held radar) driving too fast through Newstead. NHS staff have been asked to leave Newstead using the by-pass.· Inspector Simpson feels that police presence at Community Council meetings may not be best use of police time. MDCC Cllrs believe Sgt Lawson’s reports are beneficial and agreed Provost Windram will write with Cllrs thoughts, to Inspector Simpson .· Police will be asked to bepresent at Old Year’s Night gathering in the Square.
5 Traffic Matters In the absence of Cllr Barker there was nothing further to report.
6 Planning Sub-Committee Report Land west of Whinney Knowe Drygrange erection of dwelling house. No comments.Dalgetty High Street Melrose installation of two ventilation grills. No comments.Garden ground of Morven Ormiston Terrace erection of dwellinghouse. No comments.
7 Community Events Sub-CommitteeMelrose in Bloom are holding their AGM in January – everyone is welcome.Banner for the fireworks on Old Year’s Night is ready to go up.
8 Melrose Traders Association.In the absence of Cllrs Mrs A Dewar there was nothing to report.
9 Eildon Area CommitteeThere was nothing to report.
10 9 Matters raised by Councillors and Members of the PublicCllrs felt that the fencing around the Christmas Tree could be more aesthetic. Cllr Watson to investigate possibilities of better fencing for next year.Highway maintenance BEAR are in dispute with Amey and until the dispute has been resolved completion of replacing new street lights and removing old street lights along the by-pass will be in abeyance. Tarmac outside the Abbey Mill Shop is disrepair.
11 11 Date and place of next meetingThe next meeting of the Council will be held in Ormiston Institute, Melrose on Wednesday 16 January 2008.