MEETING OF MELROSE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY COUNCIL
HELD IN THE ORMISTON INSTITUTE ON
WEDNESDAY, 19TH MARCH 2008 AT 7.30 P.M.
Present: Provost W Windram (WW), Cllr A Dewar (AD), Cllr Mrs D Cameron (DC),
Cllr R Chisholm (RC), Cllr S Waldie (SW), Cllr G Barker (GB),
Cllr Mrs V Miller (VM), Cllr L Paterson
In attendance: Cllr D Parker (DP), Cllr N Watson (NW), Sgt B Lawson (BL)
Ms S Hogg (Minutes)
1. Apologies for absence: Cllr A McSorley (AMcS), Cllr Mrs P Chricton (PC)
2. Minutes of last meeting:The Minute of the previous meeting held on 20th February 2008 was approved by the Council and signed by the Chairman.Amendments noted to previous minutes:The meeting was held in Newstead Village Hall not the Ormiston Institute.Old Year’s Night -The grant sought from the William Hill Trust for the Fireworks should have read £600 not £2,000.
3. Matters arising from previous minutes:3.1 Greenyards Toilets - These are to be re opened on Tuesday, 1st April through until the end of September. They will be open 24 hours a day but shall be reviewed in the future. There will be no charge for these toilets and no attendant and will be cleaned on a daily basis. Work on the toilets i.e. painting and lighting (external and internal) shall be finished this week. A new public access will be created from the street to the public toilets and the water supply shall be switched to mains pressure.3.2 Welcome Packs An example of a booklet was tabled. Any other examples would be much appreciated.3.3 Platforms in the Square - Cllr DP reported that the new coating is working well. He shall speak to Marshalls and if necessary he will arrange for the work to be done again.3.4 Electricity Supply to the new platform It was reported that the meter went in on Monday of this week and hopeful that this job is now complete. It was agreed to draw the availability to the attention of the Festival Committee.3.5 The Scaurs - Provost WW informed the meeting that he had sent a receipt and an outstanding bill to the William Hill Trust for the work carried out so far. Cllr DP explained that the final report has now come in from Halcrow and the estimated work at the Scaurs would cost £550,000. Cllr DP has agreed to arrange a meeting involving all interested parties and this will be done in due course. 3.6 Street Name Plates In The Square - Cllr VM provided a list of signs that required attention from Melrose and surrounding areas to Cllr NW.3.7 Town Website - Provost William Windram thanked Cllr Mrs L Paterson for updating the web page. Cllr LP informed the meeting that she had permission to update the calendar and Melrose news. If anybody has anything they would like to go on just to let her know.3.8 Melrose Festival - Cllr LP said the usual arrangements were progressing well and the appointment night is the first Friday in May, which is the 2nd.3.9 Web Camera - John Sharman to liaise with Cllr A McSorley with regard to costing.3.10 Cigarette Bins - Cllr VM reported following a Street Cleanliness meeting on 17th March informing the group that Cllr Parker had said that SBC would be happy to assist with the financing of this project. The money would come out of the Common Support Fund. It was agreed that the traders would be responsible for emptying any cigarette bins. The property owner's permission to fix a bin to the wall would be required. The Council would supply the initial tranche of bins. Cllr VM agreed to identify priority areas.3.11 Work to the Cauld - Provost William Windram confirmed that this work had been completed satisfactory. The grassed area behind the repaired wall requires some additional attention. DPLPDPNWAMcSVM
3.12 Annay Road - Cllr GB informed the group that the next phase of work had been completed. Further work is still required and may need to be paid for from the car parking moneys received from the Abbey Car Park.3.13 Old Year’s Night - Cllr G Barker reported that he had heard nothing back yet with regard to funding from the William Hill Trust towards the Old Year’s Night fireworks. There was discussion around the amount the traders would pay for and it was agreed that Cllr A Dewar would investigate.3.14 Abbey Bell - Cllr N Watson agreed to have a look at the bell on its return to see whether or not it would be possible to rotate the bell so that the gong did not always strike on the same spot.3.15 Merose Rugby Sevens -Cllr D Parker reported that all SBC work on this issue is on target for delivery. It was agreed to move the parameter of the tented village to keep the path through Gibson Park open. There shall be a meeting after the Sevens for all those concerned in the organising of the event to comment on how things have gone.3.16 BEAR - Cllr D Parker reported that BEAR are doing work on the new lighting column and that the old columns have been removed.3.17 The road surface outside Abbey Mill - Cllr D Parker reported that this road had been patched up.3.18 Inconsiderate Parking At Chain Bridge - Cllr D Parker reported that a meeting to discuss the problem of parking at the Chain Bridge would be held on Friday and a report on the outcomes agreed would be given to the Council in due course.3.19 Dog Fouling At Chiefswood Road - Cllr V Miller asked if there could be a doggy bin placed at the station end of the by pass footpath. Cllr N Watson agreed to speak to the cleansing dept. Cllr V Miller also asked if the litter bin at the play park at Rushbank could be replaced as reported by a resident as the bottom was missing. ADNWDPNW
4. Car Parking Options In MelroseSee separate report from pre meeting at 6.30 p.m.
5. Police MattersPolice report for February:Sgt Lawson reported that the number of calls to the station was fairly high.· One recorded crime where someone was in possession of cannabis resin.· Percentage detection rate for the year to date was 69%. There was a reduction of 44% in recorded crimes from last year.· Number of complaints to two addresses in the town regarding noise and if this persists an ASBO will be put in place on these properties.· Two calls regarding youths using the Greenyards as a shelter for drinking. He went on to explain that there were plans in place over the summer to “nip this in the bud”. All licensed premises would be targeted at point of sale to stop the sale of alcohol to underage persons.Provost William Windram asked Sgt Lawson about the preparations for Melrose 7’s and was informed that all plans were in place.Cllr V Miller reported that there had been youths skateboarding in the square. Sgt Lawson agreed to look into this and have it stopped.Cllr S Waldie asked if anything could be down once again regarding the parking on Smith’s road and Darnick park. Sgt Lawson acknowledged that this had been a problem in the past and agreed once again to get more leaflets and have them distributed.
6. Traffic MattersEildon Area Committee Meeting Held On 17.03.08 in Newstead. It was agreed to put up “20 is plenty” signs in the centre of the village and re-paint give way lines etc.
7. Planning Sub-Committee ReportPlanning Applications:Abbotsford House, Melrose small internal alterations. No Comments.Land North of Lyndale Tower Road Darnick - erection of dwelling house amendment to previous consent. No comments.Cllr R Chisholm passed round the Community Council the plan for new signage for the CO-OP. No comments.
8. Community Events Sub-Committee ReportCllr V Miller advised that arrangements for the annual spring clean were in place. She had applied to Action Earth for a grant. Cllr Mrs Cameron had also applied on behalf of Gattonside Village Committee. They had each been awarded a grant of £50 . Cllr V Miller has ordered another two packs of 10 litter picking tools.
9. Eildon Area Committee Report · There will be increased patrols/traffic warden on random days in Melrose when the Traffic Order has been confirmed.· An opportunity had been given for councillors to visit police control room at Bilston Glen. Cllr RC will look at dates and arrange the visit· Melrose Arts Trust support grant of £4,000 approved.· Bear Highways - Contact details for Ian Stewart, the BEAR Network Manager have been obtained. RC
10. Matters Raised by The Councillors and Members of the Public1. Seat on Black Path - Sign has been removed and fitted at the other side.2. Cllr V Miller asked if the men who emptied the bottle banks could sweep up the broken glass before they leave. Cllr D Parker agreed to highlight this. 3. Cllr L Paterson brought up the issue of parking near the abbey and Cllr. D Parker agreed to look at. 4. Bill Smith asked if we could bring this item to the attention of the meeting - People were parking on the grass behind Boots the chemist. Could this be made a proper car parking area. It was agreed that Cllr D Parker and Cllr. V Miller would go along and have a look.5. Extension to Melrose Primary School - Cllr DP explained this was at the pre- planning stage and explained that the store next to the kitchen would be used to make the existing kitchen larger. This work would be going ahead in the summer. The extension is planned for 2009/106. Trusts & Common Good Funds - Cllr GB would obtain a copy of the balance and copy to everyone.7. Bagless Town - To be raised again at the next meeting.8. Draft Guidance Leaflet on Street Furniture. Cllr Watson reported that agreement on 99% of the text and design for the proposed leaflet had been reached and that it would shortly be printed9. Extension of play area at the school using part of Gibson Park - Provost William Windram welcomed Pippa Walls, Deputy Chair of Parents Committee, Mrs Innes Acting Head Teacher and Lorraine Cox from the Community Group of the Parent Council at Melrose Primary School to the meeting. Their aim was to explain to the council that the school now had 350 children and very limited play ground space. They would like to use part of Gibson Park that runs alongside the school as additional playground. However they would like to put up a fence around this area. There were two main issues, namely the safety of the children and the position of the camp site next to the school during the summer. They propose to move the staff car park beside the bike shed to the rear of the building. After discussion it was agreed that the proposals should be taken forward to the parks dept. Cllr D Parker would arrange a site visit and contact the school.10. Box in Triangle - This box was inspected and locked following the last meeting.11. Damaged Bollard and Lampost in Weirhill Place. Cllr N W agreed to chase this up.12. Consultation and possible changes to school sessions and the school week. Document returned with comments from Mrs S Spence and sent off to SBC. DPDPDP/VMADDPNW
11. Date & place of next meeting: Ormiston Institute on Wednesday, 16th April 2008 AGM @ 7.00 p.m. Meeting of MDCC @ 7.30 p.m.