MEETING OF MELROSE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD ON WEDNESDAY, 16TH MARCH 2011 AT 7.30P.M.
IN THE NEWSTEAD VILLAGE HALL
Present: Provost William Windram (WW), Cllr Bill Smith
(BS), Cllr Val Miller (VM)Cllr William Kerr
(WK), Cllr Scott Waldie (SW), Cllr Dorothy
Cameron (DC), Cllr Robin Chisholm (RC), Cllr
Tom Douglas (TD), Cllr Lorna Paterson
In Attendance: Constable Duncan Begg, Members of the public – Cameron Crawford, Peter Wood, Adam Johnston, Persimmon Homes Representatives – Stephen Kelso, Neil Parry
1. Announcements and apologies for absence: Cllr John Paton-Day, Cllr Bruce Brodie, Cllr David Parker, Cllr Lynda Wilks, Cllr Nicholas Watson.
Provost William Windram and the Community Councillors noted the regrettable passing of ex community councillor Mrs Pat Crichton. The councillor’s had a moments silence to reflect their thoughts.
2. Minutes Of Previous Meeting Held On: 16th February 2011
One small amendment item 9 – Walkers are Welcome weekend walks will be on Saturday 30th April and Sunday 1st May not Sunday 31st April as stated.
3. Matters Arising:
Provost WW read out comments from Cllr NW’s email in his absence.
Rhymers Stone – Cllr VM reported we have had to reapply for visitor attraction signs from Visit Scotland and these are being made by BEAR and will be erected as soon as possible.
Item 9 – Ground Works Provost WW reported this work will be starting soon at the crematorium.
Sand Stone in Square – Nothing seems to have been done in the last month commented Provost WW and is an eye sore.
Cllr NW asked if the cauld has been fenced off? Cllr DC replied that barricades are lying around there and at that side of the bridge the foot path is falling away and very dangerous. Cameron Crawford replied the council is responsible for this retaining wall and Mr David Brown has been contacted. This is an engineering problem and the area has been photographed and will be reviewed by the council. Provost WW to contact them and ask when they think this will be repaired as very dangerous, and has been like this for three weeks.
Walkers Welcome – Cllr DC reported that we do not have any leaflets as yet but walks are planned for the Saturday and the Sunday. Further information can be seen on the website.
Countryside Wardens – Cllr VM to contact them and invite to the April meeting.
Memorial Seats – Cllr DC & Cllr VM went to visit and some are finished and looking very smart and should be resited around the town beginning of April. No invoice from Finlayson’s as yet.
Black and Gold Finger Posts – Cllr VM has heard nothing back from Craig Blackie.
Cllr TD going to write to Mrs Thorton regarding holding a council meeting at her house.
Cllr TD spoke to Cllr DP about the entertainment in the square over the summer months and a meeting with Cllr DP to be organised as soon as possible.
4. Police Matters:
Melrose Community Council – 16th March 2011
Inspector Mike Wynne
North CPA ~ Galashiels
Crime figs for period 01/02/2011 – 28/02/2011
Crimes Reported: None
16/02/11 - Two males were checked out, warned and moved on after refusing to leave licensed premises.
09/03/11 - Vehicle was seized on the A6091 Melrose By Pass, due to having no insurance, test certificate and vehicle excise licence.
10/03/11 - Male reported for Breach of the Peace after failing to stop shouting and swearing at police in Chiefswood Road, Melrose.
We have just issued a news release encouraging mobile phone owners to do all they can to ensure their phone is returned to them if it is lost or stolen. Part of this is encouraging owners to register the unique IMEI number - this can be found on the original packaging, under the battery or by keying in *#06# (star, hash, zero, six, hash) on the phone.
To record the IMEI number, there are various online property registries and many phone providers provide such a service. Users should also keep the number safe at home and are also encouraged to create a PIN code or password for the keypad, making it more difficult for it to
be sold on or reused. This news release coincides with a new feature on PNC (Police National Computer) whereby these phone details will be searchable enabling phones that are checked to be identified when either lost or stolen and reunited with owners.
Constable Begg reported that since the report has gone out there is a slight amendment to the first incident on the 16.02.11. The males involved have since been charged with breach of the peace.
Provost WW highlighted the importance of the police message regarding mobile phone owners registering the unique IMEI number of their handset.
The forthcoming Melrose Seven’s event was discussed and Inspector Mike Wynne held a meeting last week to finalise all the arrangements. He is satisfied that he has sufficient strength in police numbers. The arrangements are very much the same as last year reported Constable Begg. This was also attributed to the volunteers etc. who help out at this very large event.
Constable Begg had attended a meeting the previous evening on the proposed new Melrose website. Constable Begg felt that the police may use this website as another forum for a number of issues i.e. the monthly police crime report, station opening times etc.
5. Traffic Matters:
Provost WW asked if there was any funding available for bicycles, which would be used by the community police in Melrose. Cllr NW said we are awaiting reply on funding for police bicycles.
Fordel Gardens – Gas pipe replacement work in progress and this has caused the road to be narrowed.
Cllr VM asked if there was any further progress with the street signs. Nothing further on this at the moment to report.
Concern was raised about the state of a lot of the roads in Melrose due to pot holes, especially in Buccleuch Street, which when work starts to repair these should receive priority treatment.
Tree works - Provost WW read out an email from SBC stating that there would be work starting in April in the Melrose area. Felling to ground level for most of them and four in the triangle are very diseased. Cllr VM has spoken to Fraser Dunlop (SBC) and requested a copy of the tree survey so that we may see for ourselves. Cllr TD suggested an in-house look at these trees and bollard them until the young trees are established. Contracts for this work were given out before Christmas. It was suggested that we consult Simon Wilkinson at SBC for his opinion. The replacement work for this has not yet been tendered. Cllr RC said that three trees beside the fire station were removed last year. We should protest said Cllr VM and have them replaced. The copper beech beside the church in Gattonside is diseased and has come down reported Cllr DC.
6. Planning Sub-Committee Report and Responses From The Planning Dept.:
Cllr RC read out the planning applications and outcomes for February 2011:
Orchard Neuk, Gattonside – Demolition of existing dwellinghouse and erection of replacement dwelling house – No comments
Inveresk, Abbotsford Road, Darnick – Extension to dwelling house and erection of detached garage – No comments.
Land North West of Mosshouses Farm, Galashiels – Erection of wind turbine – No comments.
10 East Port, Melrose – Replacement windows – Replacement windows to have astrigals to match existing windows on this listed building.
Refuse plant discussed last month Provost WW to correct this now been withdrawn for green waste. Contract who does it for SBC.
Community Council invited to Planning and Regulatory (look on SBC website) forum 22nd march, next Tuesday SBC Headquarters, Cllr SW going to attend.
7. Traders Association:
The Traders Association AGM is due to be held next week. Nicholas Henderson, current Chair of the Traders Association is giving up this post along with the Secretary. Feedback from this meeting will come to us before our AGM.
8. Community Events Sub- Committee Report:
Cllr VM informed the meeting that the spring clean week has been brought forward to April 16th – 24th. All the necessary equipment has been organised and is ready to go. Posters shall go out to all villages etc. advertising this work. Cllr VM has contacted the Criminal Justice Team, informed SBC Local and spoken to schools and youth group leaders. Cllr RC asked when the spring clean was underway could Cllr VM ask the Criminal Justice Team to work up to the Waird’s where the protective tree collars have all split and are ready to come of. Could these be cleared?
Cllr VM read out a letter received from Harmony, a group of musicians based in Bowden, who provide musical entertainment in old people’s homes etc. Their lottery funding is coming to an end soon and after discussion it was agreed to give them a donation of £50.
There was a MIB meeting last night and the 10th anniversary project is taking shape at the rear of St Dunstan’s House. This is a joint project with students from Borders College in Newtown and with input in the shape of a new fence from SBHA. MIB plan to enter the Beautiful Scotland and Borders Floral Gateway competitions this year.
9. Matters Raised By Councillors:
Adam Johnston – Project website presented on MTA and community council launched next month ready in time for the tourist season. Melrose Life .co.uk. Cllr DC highlighted to the councillors that it was the financial year end this month and could they get any expenses to her. Cllr DC said that there was no green recycling bins in Gattonside for garden waste could they be supplied and also for Newstead. The ne development at St Aidan’s came up at planning on Monday and heavy vehicles are no longer coming down Bakers Road.
Cllr RC suggested a visit from the dog wardens to Melrose as some of the streets are a disgrace.
Wind Farms - Provost WW and Cllr TD attended a meeting with Jim Shanks in regard to the proposed wind farm, where he gave more information on the wind farm proposal. Energy For All is the business name and is a non profit making company. A community dividend would be first choice way of doing this i.e. buy a share of the project. It was forecast that after 25 years you would get your money back. The cost to buy into this would be from £250 - £20,000 shares and priority would be given to people in these post code areas. The dividend return on the money would hopefully come back in to the community. They recommend a co-operative group, which would consist of seven members, rotating after a year so there would be no same person year after year. A higher percentage for the Melrose area and Stow and Lauder. It was suggested that we arrange a meeting with the other respective community councils. Cllr SW commented that these wind farms depend on the wind! Cllr LP commented to Jim Shanks about the lack of wind this year and he replied ‘you never see a wind farm going to the wall’. Cllr TD said he would telephone the people who are already involved locally in wind farming to find out more about it. If possible Cllr TD will arrange to meet with them and Provost WW and Cllr DC would also attend if they can. We would be very interested to hear about Stows experience.
Website Presentation Last Night by John Henderson - Cllr VM said that in her opinion he gave a very straight forward down to earth presentation. John had looked at websites from other towns like Melrose and showed what they had achieved. John said that he would be in charge but it would be a joint effort with the community who would decide what photographs, information etc. they would like put on the website. The start up cost for the website was a very modest £1,400, rising to £3,705 over five years and the income would be generated from advertising. Cllr RC asked what happens if they ‘disappear’? What would happen to the website? It was agreed to wait and see what the outcome would be from the next traders meeting.
10. Matters Raised By Members Of The Public:
Presentation from Persimmon Homes – Talk by Neil Parry and supported by Stephen Kelso, Senior Architectural Technician from Persimmon Homes. Councillors were asked to have a look at the proposed plans for the new development at Langlee, which were on display in the hall. We are looking to promote phase one, which consists of 140 houses, 20 of these will be affordable housing. There will be one shop and an assisted roundabout, not submitted for planning as yet. Part of the planning application process requires us to have a number of council meetings in the area and a public meeting regarding the planning application. Phase two will be promoted separately at a later date but not finalised and no decision process as yet. There has been mass planning and lots of variations submitted on the 10th January. These have been reviewed with some slight variations at the meeting but signed off now by the planning committee. Cllr RC asked would the road be constructed before the building site and the reply was the roundabout would be constructed as part of phase one but not at the start. Questions from the council were answered by the representatives from Persimmon Homes:
Available housing would be integrated throughout the scheme and there would be 20 units in phase one, built as a cluster within the site and integrated within the scheme. Cameron Crawford asked why only 20? The reply was the planning authority wants us to bring forward due to the grant. A play area, would that be in the green field asked Cllr VM? The reply was ‘no we are engaging with the planning authority to put at the bottom end of the site’ and this would be done within phase one. A fully equipped play area with additional play facilities would be constructed in phase 2. There will be open spaces within essential areas of the site. The streets will be designed to try and not have separate areas for cars and pedestrians’ they will share the same space. This has been proven in the past that it slows cars down, which share the same space as pedestrians. Cllr RC asked what would be the colour of the properties? Persimmons replied there will be a multitude of colours through out. The play area is not in a good place remarked Cllr DC, Persimmons replied that this play area is for very young children who would not be left unsupervised and there would be woodland between the road and the play area. Scottish Water will be taking full control of the SUDS area. Car parking requirement is this still the same asked Cllr BS? Yes, there will be two spaces per house. The shops will also have provision for parking. Cllr BS highlighted a lack of attendance from the SBC councillors, there was none at tonight’s meeting.
12. Date of next meeting: Wednesday, 20th April 2011 @ 7.00 p.m. for the Annual General Meeting & 7.30 p.m. in the Ormiston Institute, Melrose