MEETING OF MELROSE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD AT WOOPLAW HOUSE, GALASHIELS ON WEDNESDAY, 15TH JUNE 2011 AT 7.30P.M.
Present: Provost William Windram (Chair) (WW), Cllr Robin Chisholm (RC), Cllr Lynda Wilks (LW), Cllr Dorothy Cameron (DC), Cllr Tom Douglas (TD), Cllr Scott Waldie (SW), Cllr Bruce Brodie (BB), Cllr William Kerr (WK), Cllr Bill Smith (BS), Cllr Val Miller (VM), Cllr Lorna Paterson
In Attendance: Cllr John Paton-Day (JPD), Alex McGilvray (Border Telegraph),Susan Hogg (minute), Enid Thorn
1. Announcements and apologies for absence: Constable Duncan Begg, Cllr Nicholas Watson, Cllr David Parker
Provost WW thanked Enid Thorn for allowing Melrose & District Community Council to hold the meeting at Wooplaw House.
2. Minute Of Previous Meeting held on 18th May 2011 was read. Amendment to Item 3. Matters Arising The word memorial should be deleted. It should just read seats in the square.
3. Matters Arising:
Cauld Councillors requested that a fence be put up to restrict access and also a sign be erected to alert people that this area is dangerous. Cllr JPD offered to look into this problem as it is a public safety concern. It was agreed to keep this item on the agenda and request updates.
Seats In The Square It was suggested that these be renovated in situ but to wait until next year due to funding.
Entertainment in the Square No further progress reported from Cllr DP said Cllr TD. Questions arose around a licence, which we would get from the council, what regulations we need, and it would also depend on the quality and what they are playing. Cllr TD will send another email to Cllr DP to ask about progress of this item.
Fire Station ¬ Cllr JPD reported that this has apparently been sold.
Hedge Cutting between Douglas Rd & Dingleton Rd ¬ Cllr RC said that still nothing has been done about this.
Chain Bridge Community Councillors have not heard of any further problems regarding parking at Chain Bridge. Councillors should report back on any difficulties about which they become aware.
Trees Removed in Melrose & Surrounding Area - Cllr VM reported that she has had a reply from John Henderson and the removal of these trees cannot be delayed any longer than the week beginning 4th July. Three trees will be removed from the Triangle that week. A request to have this delayed until the end of the summer has been refused due to the risk of high winds etc. Cllr WK reported that the planting of new trees is planned for October and November.
Wind Farm Not many people turned out for the public meeting, which was quite disappointing reported Cllr SW.
Dog Fouling Cllr RC has laminated some posters himself as had not heard anything from Cllr DP.
Melrose Website Minutes of previous MDCC meetings have been put on the web.
Item 9 Painting removed from Ormiston Institute Provost WW reported that he had tried three times to speak to the caretaker in the Ormiston Institute, but without success. Provost WW was advised that a Saturday morning would be a better time to catch him and discuss the whereabouts of the painting.
Skirmish Hill Bench Cllr SW reported that the Criminal Justice Team is going to make a bench to be sited adjacent to the information board on Skirmish Hill.
Gattonside Open Gardens - This will be held on Sunday, 25th June 2011 reported Cllr DC.
Melrose RFC Melrose Rugby Football Club have been congratulated on their success over the last season. A civic reception will be held to honour MRFC on its success. Provost WW has been invited to attend.
Music Society Cllr JPD believed that the Society had received a grant.
4. Police Matters: Provost WW reported that Constable Duncan Begg will be back in Melrose for a couple of weeks before returning to the squad in Edinburgh, where he is likely to remain for another month or so. He has made a number of commitments, namely the Book Festival & several of the marches/parades during the Melrose Festival and has arranged so that he can still honour these.
Police Report from Inspector Mike Wynne North CPA ~ Galashiels
Performance:- Crime figs for period 01/05/2011 31/05/2011
Crimes Reported: 2 reported - 0 solved
24/05/11 - Person issued with a conditional offer for failing to use seat belt.
A two-week initiative that aims to crack down on the 'hard core' of motorists who continue to get behind the wheel while under the influence of drink or drugs was being launched on Monday June 6. Officers from Lothian and Borders Police will be taking part in the national summer drink/drug drive campaign being spearheaded by the Association of Chief Police Officers Scotland (ACPOS).
The initiative, which ends on Monday June 20, will see high visibility patrols and unmarked police vehicles deployed on local roads. In addition, road checks will also take place at various times and locations across the Force area.
Officers will actively seek to use powers that allow the courts to confiscate repeat offenders' vehicles if they are caught drink or drug driving. Superintendent Alan Duncan, Head of the Road Policing Unit at Lothian and Borders Police, is leading the campaign locally. He said: 'Repeat offenders should be aware that they run the very real risk of losing their vehicles through the vehicle forfeiture scheme, and we will be asking members of the public to lend their assistance by reporting suspected drunk or drugged drivers. 'This campaign aims to drive the message home that we will not tolerate the behaviour of the minority of offenders who gamble with their own lives, and the lives of other people. That cannot and will not be tolerated.'
5. Traffic Matters:
Pot Holes in Weirhill These have now been filled in.
Cllr RC reported that the weeds alongside the Triangle have now been dealt with. Provost WW thanked Cllr RC for chasing this up.
Buses in Gattonside The no. 64 bus route is going to be altered. There will be a consultation to see how many people actually use it. Colin Douglas, passenger transport manager will be invited to our August meeting.
Bridge at Scotts View - Cllr DC Reported that due to a collapsed bridge the road to Scotts View is closed. Cllr JPD wished to know for how long the road will be closed. He was informed that this would be until early July.
6. Planning Sub-Committee Report and Responses From The Planning Dept.: - Planning Applications For May 2011
Land East of 12 Monkswood, Gattonside Erection of dwellinghouse with integral garage. No comments.
1 Valley View, Gattonside Replacement windows No comments.
Carradale, Orchard Park, Darnick Alterations and extensions to dwelling house No comments.
2 Big Well Wynd, Newstead Extension to dwellinghouse Approved subject to conditions.
Orchard Neuk, Gattonside Demolition of existing dwellinghouse and erection of replacement dwellinghouse Approved subject to conditions.
Land North West of Allan Lodge, Pavilion Farm, Melrose Change of use from agricultural storage yard to sealed composting and recycling of green and woody waste No comments.
7. Melrose Traders Association:
Nicholas Henderson, Chair of the Traders Association has advised that letters have gone out to all the traders to find out what they want to do with the existing funds.
8. Community Events Sub-Committee Report:
Cllr VM reported that there will again be a book sale on the 26th & 27th August. Volunteers to assist will be sought at the August meeting of MDCC. Cllr VM asked if Councillors would put the word around for books to sell.
At the Melrose in Bloom meeting last night members expressed how tired they were as this year it has been exceptionally busy due to the extra gardening work which has been taken on from SBC due to the financial cut backs. New planters around the market cross provided by SBC are very disappointing. This years Melrose In Bloom Garden Party will be at St Helens Waverly Road and hosted by Mr & Mrs Watson on Sunday, 10th July.
9. Matters Raised By Councillors:
Support Grant - Provost WW read out details of the code of conduct for Councillors. All Councillors agreed to be bound by the code of conduct and will declare any interests in a matter up for discussion should this occur.
Salt Bin Trials It has been decided that the winter salt bins should be left out all year and not taken in over the summer. This trial is to enable SBC to make financial savings. Any comments should be passed on to SBC Councillors. Cllr SW reported that he has received one complaint that the salt bin has been removed in Darnick.
Kirking of the Melrosian - The Kirking of the Melrosian will take place on Sunday 19th June commencing at 10.45 a.m. with the laying of a wreath at the war memorial. After the service coffee will be served in the church hall and MDCC will present gifts to the Melrosian and Queen.
Seats - Cllr VM reported that within the next month the Criminal Justice Team will paint the remainder of the seats. SBC have provided the paint and MDCC will provide brushes and sand paper.
Phone Box Cllr VM reported that she has spoken to someone from BT in regard to the repainting of the phone box. This will be put on a list to be done between April and October.
Scottish Power & BT Boxes Cllr VM has contacted the relevant companies about getting the boxes at the junction of High Cross Avenue and Waverley Road painted.
Notice Box For Community Council The window on the Council notice box has been repaired and a spare key will be kept with the hall keeper.
School house in Huntly Road has been purchased by SBC.
Harmony Music Group has been awarded the Queens award.
Street Signs Any new street signs will no longer have the rose emblem on them. Cllr BS will inform George Bunyan.
10. Matters Raised By Members Of The Public:
It was noted that there is not sufficient public transport up to Wooplaw and the surrounding area and taxis are very expensive. Any complaints regarding the lack of public transport should be reported by email to SBC.
11. A.O.C.B. - None.
12. Date of next meeting: Wednesday, 17th August 2011 @ 7.30 p.m. in the Ormiston Institute, Melrose.