MEETING OF MELROSE & DISTRICT COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD IN THE ORMISTON INSTITUTE ON WEDNESDAY, 18TH MAY 2011 AT 7.30P.M.
Present: Provost William Windram (Chair) (WW), Cllr Robin Chisholm
(RC), Cllr Lynda Wilks (LW), Cllr Bill Smith (BS), Cllr Dorothy
Cameron (DC), Cllr Scott Waldie (SW), Cllr Bruce Brodie (BB),
Cllr William Kerr (WK), Cllr Tom Douglas (TD), Cllr Lorna Patterson
In Attendance: Cllr Nicholas Waldie (NW), Cllr David Parker (DP),
Susan Hogg (minute)
1. Apologies for absence: Cllr Val Miller, Constable Duncan Begg
2. Minutes Of Previous Meeting Held On: 20th April 2011 were read and approved.
3. Matters Arising:
Rhymers Stone Two new road traffic signs have now been erected on the bypass.
Sandstone in the Square This has now been repaired.
Cauld The barriers are still up but the hole has still not been repaired reported Cllr DC. Cllr DP said we had a project to look at the Scaurs and we did do quite a bit of work but ownership was unknown. The solution to the problem was enormously expensive and there was no money for it, therefore no way of taking it forward. SBC has done work on it from time to time to make it safe for the public i.e. erecting a fence. Cllr NW reported in his email on the 3rd that something would be done but nothing so far. Cllr DC would have a look and let Provost WW know the present position.
Walkers are Welcome Festival Cllr DC reported that the walking festival had been a great success. The social evening on the Friday night had gone very well. The initial £450 grant from SBC was mainly spent on setting up the website. The registration fee of £30 was paid for by MDCC and the Council also contributed £30 for the use of a room in MRFC.
Memorial Seats in the Square The question was raised do we need to have these repainted this year? It was agreed to have a look at the condition of the seats at the end of the summer.
Entertainment in the Square Cllr DP advised that there had been no progress on this project.
Fire Station The final legal procedures have still to gone through reported Cllr JPD. We do not know as yet who the buyer is.
Hedge Cutting between Douglas Rd & Dingleton Rd Cllr NW was going to check on this but he was unable to attend the meeting. Cllr RC reported that nothing has been done as yet.
Chain Bridge Farm Cllr DP said that he was not aware of any other issues and they had not received any complaints about the turning.
Heavy Vehicles Accessing SBC Recycling Centre. ¬ The state of the access road to the dump was not in MDCCs area but Cllr TD just wanted the condition noted.
Trees Removed in Melrose & Surrounding Area Cllr WK met with Jason Hedley from SBC to discuss the cost of replacement trees. Cllr WK advised that the cost of replacement trees from his own supplier was considerably less than the price which had been quoted. It would be possible to purchase trees at a cost of £250 but it was advisable to wait until the planting season which is from October onwards. The principal trees would be 4½ 6 metres high and smaller trees 1.75 2 metres high would be planted within the existing trees. Cllr DP reported that Wilson Jamieson and his men are clearing trees at Tweedbank and Melrose would be next.
Wind Farm We have had another meeting with Jim Shanks and the outcome was that we were in favour of him making an application with Energy 4 All. Cllr JPD advised anyone interested in getting involved should read carefully the small print. Provost WW said that an application will be submitted for this wind farm and there will be a consultation before going ahead. A public meeting will be held on Tuesday 14th June 2011 in the Ormiston Institute.
Dog Fouling Councillors had received a report from Cllr DP regarding dog fouling in all areas of the Borders. It was reported that the Priors walk and the Black path do not have any kind of bin. It was suggested that stickers are put on all types of litter bins informing the public that they can dispose of their dog fouling bags in these bins. Councillors felt it would be useful to have further reports on dog fouling in the Borders in the future. Cllr RC asked Cllr DP if it would be possible to get posters laminated for the next meeting.
Website and Traders John Henderson and Adam Johnston have been contacted in regard to their proposed websites. Adam Johnston is proceeding with his website. This will be a Scottish Borders wide website, scottishbordersliving and will be launched very soon. Melrose Traders Association had not decided what to do with their existing funds. A letter would be going out to all members. Douglas Hardie has passed the log in details and password to Cllr LP to enable the MDCC part of the website to be updated. Mr Hardie has refreshed the website and given it a new look.
4. Police Matters:
Performance Crime figs for period 01/04/2011 30/04/2011
Crimes Reported: 5 reported - 2 solved
09/05/11 - Neighbour dispute in Eildon View. Police attended and advice given.
11/05/11 - Report received of possible bogus workmen in the area of Ormiston Grove. Area searched no trace. No offences committed.
12/05/11 Attempt break in to Melrose Golf Club. No items stolen. Door to door carried out and statements noted. Enquiries in hand.
13/05/11 - Vehicle was seized in Market Square, Melrose after owner was found to have no valid insurance and only a provisional licence. Report submitted to Procurator Fiscal.
14/05/11 - Vehicle which was parked on double yellow lines in Buccleuch Street was issued with a fixed penalty ticket.
Provost WW also reported that the road through Melrose will be closed on the 11th June 2011 as there will be a freedom parade by the Royal Regiment of Scotland who are being given the Freedom of the Scottish Borders.
5. Traffic Matters:
Cllr BB reported that the previously discussed traffic areas in Darnick had had the painted white lines changed to give way etc at Smiths Road. There had also been a traffic counter put in place and traffic cones placed on the dismantled pavement.
With regard to the large number of pot holes in Melrose and the surrounding area Cllr DP reported that there was a very long list and the worst of them would be repaired first and then the rest.
6. Planning Sub-Committee Report and Responses From The Planning Dept.: - Planning Applications For April 2011
Land East of 12 Monkswood, Gattonside Erection of dwelling house with integral garage. No comments.
1 Valley View, Gattonside Replacement windows No comments.
Carradale, Orchard Park, Darnick Alterations and extension to dwelling house.
2 Big Well Wynd, Newstead Extension to dwelling house No comments.
Orchard Neuk, Gattonside - Demolition of existing dwelling house and erection of replacement dwelling house No comments
7. Melrose Traders Association:
Reported earlier under item 3.
8. Community Events Sub-Committee Report:
MIB will start to plant up the flower boxes this coming Saturday and any volunteers would be welcome starting at 9.30 a.m. Volunteers should meet at the green house behind the green yards. The planting will be done one week and we shall put them out the next week.
9. Matters Raised By Councillors:
Cllr BB was asked by former Councillor George Bunyan about a painting of Newstead which had been removed from the upstairs meeting room in the Ormiston Institute. Provost WW would investigate.
Skirmish Hill Cllr SW has spoken to Craig Blackie to see if a bench can be sited there.
Gattonside Open Gardens Cllr DC advised that on Sunday 26th June several gardens will be open in Gattonside from 2.00 6.00 p.m. Refreshments will be available in the village hall.
Cllr BS suggested that we congratulate Melrose RFC on their triumphant season. Councillors all agreed. Provost WW will send them a letter.
Melrose Football Club Cllr DP advised that the Club is still in the process of acquiring grants. This is progressing well.
Melrose Music Society Melrose Music Society has applied to the William Hill Trust for another grant. Councillors supported this application. The Trustees will look at the Societys accounts and determine the amount of the grant.
10. Matters Raised By Members Of The Public:
12. Date of next meeting: Wednesday, 15th June 2011 @ 7.30 p.m. at Wooplaw House, Galashiels, TD1 2QA