Louise and Gordon Buchanan are delighted to welcome you to Little Fordel Bed and Breakfast.
The house comprises two letting rooms, one twin with en-suite shower-room and one family/double room with en-suite bathroom. The bedrooms have both tea/coffee making facilities. Breakfast is served in the lounge/dining room which residents can also use during the day. There is private car parking in our cobbled courtyard at the rear of the house.
The house was built in 1787 and was formerly a private school for girls. Prior to this is is suggested that the building can be dated back to the 14th Century as part of Melrose Abbey, the first site being an alms house for the poor.
A ford, or fordel, is the crossing point of a river or stream and Little Fordel was the crossing point of the stream that supplied the Abbey with water. The cobbled courtyard was originally stabling for the Abbey Hotel which was situated in the car park adjacent to the Abbey, but is now since gone.